Wednesday 15 February 2012

From Books Through the Pines, for Ryan

The first time I found you in pink gold and green
my eyes swam in the river
looking for animals from books through the pines
the sun split the spaces between the trees
and there were the wood ants on their mounds
the pine cones on the floor
the sound of the woodpeckers
jumping from the springboards of paradise...
I beheld the forest
its air full of motes and magic
each great tree an extension of my fingers
shedding their pink for orange scales
and waving dusky blue needles
against the clouds
and the mountains
reduced to two dimensions by distance.
In you I once found misery
in the indifference and exactness of a knife
laying in my primitive hands
the weave of my shirt
the fabrics and surfaces
that I'd dragged here
clinging to me...
Do not count me by these things
I am with the world's poor
the untouched tribes
the rain falls on my skin
I fear the city
I loathe the spread
I'm caught up in it
by mistake
an error
it's not me...
And once I thought myself untouchable
and slipped crossing the river
running fast and deep
cold from the mountain snow
thawing quickly in the April sun
dragged under up to my chest
I drove my toes into the stones
one breath like I'd dropped it
and clambered out betrayed.
Only in my brother did I find joy
when I saw his feet from under the pine
where I lay drying in the sun
he came to me as a saint
from nowhere two days early
walked from Bodh Gaya
eating the flesh of the Sacred Fig
found me his brother
crouched in the moss
heart wide open
shivering
and held out his hand
to one who has never felt such love
as then and there...
In our youth our father was the land
our mother the sea
and today they have found their places
apart
linked unimaginably through us.
Tomorrow we will walk around the lochs together
our silent thoughts moving like glaciers,
or songbirds in the Scots pines.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment